WJYS Academy Program for U5-U12 Players
WJYS ACADEMY Program is for U5 – U12 players. Registration is $270 for the FULL year ($90 per Session), which will include 2 sessions per week from September – May. Outdoor through the fall season, indoor starting in Feb, and moving outdoor when the weather permits through the spring season. A full kit (jersey, shorts, and socks) are also included in the $270 price.
We offer two free training sessions for any players who are currently interested in joining the program. If after these two free sessions, your player would like to join, please contact [email protected].
Location of Training Sessions
Training sessions will be located at Paul D. Henderson Memorial Park (3850 W. 8050 South, West Jordan)
*Days & Times for Academy are subject to change
Player Packing List
It is required to wear the academy uniform during academy sessions
It is expected that all players come prepared to the Academy Program. Please review the list below know what to players need to bring to each session.
- Soccer sack or small backpack
- Academy Uniform
- Sweatshirt or Hoody
- Water Bottle
- Shin Guards to be worn inside the socks
- Soccer Cleats (shoes)
- Small trash bag (to put gear in when it rains)
- No Soccer Ball (Academy will supply soccer balls)
- Athletic Shoes to wear on indoor court. (Winter Only)
Mission: To prepare children for recreational and competitive soccer and to instill a lifelong love for the beautiful game of soccer.
Philosophy: To positively impact the lives of children, families, and communities teaching soccer.
We are committed to:
- Creating an inspiring and child-centered Junior Soccer Academy to allow children and families to become knowledgeable in the game of soccer and develop game understanding, intelligence, creativity, and skills in order to enjoy playing soccer at a recreational or competitive level.
- Developing each young player to his/her full creative potential in a supportive, age-appropriate, inclusive environment.
- Developing game intelligence, confidence and independence.
- Support physical and kinesthetic awareness and development to foster creative thinking and decision making.
Age Appropriate Curriculum
Our curriculum is written to ensure all components of soccer are learned. It has been authored by US Youth Soccer Association. This will be filled with fun games the players will love
Reality-based learning is an approach to teaching. It is grounded in research on how young children develop and learn motor skills, and in what is known about effective early education. Its framework is designed to promote young children’s optimal learning and development and most importantly, a LOVE of the game.
Using these training methods creates an ATHLETE CENTERED coaching approach. This is a philosophy to unleash the potential of athletes through a style of coaching that promotes learning through ownership, awareness, and responsibility. Coaches using this philosophy ask questions as opposed to giving instructions. This allows the athlete to choose to be aware of; take responsibility for, and oversee ownership of opportunities. An Athlete Centered Coaching Approach is founded upon evidence that people are best at finding their own way, which leads to higher levels of performance.
Why Athlete Centered Approach
It is clear that coach centered instructing (i.e. telling an athlete what to do) is not the most effective way to support learning and development for athletes. Coaches often report repeating the same things over and over to athletes; and when under the pressure of competition, the athletes revert to old habits. Training sessions are frequently focused primarily on the knowledge of the coach. This method of coaching stifles the athlete’s own potential, thinking, decision making and creativity; limiting the athlete to the extent of the imagination and experience of the coach.