Silent Saturday – Spring 2019
West Jordan Youth Soccer is happy to announce that our annual Silent Soccer Saturday will be on Saturday April 27th.
On Silent Soccer Saturday we ask our parents and coaches not to coach and or instruct from the sidelines. This concept has been extremely successful in clubs all over the country in helping players concentrate and learn to communicate with each other on the field.
What is Silent Soccer Saturday you ask?
Silent Soccer Saturday is the one day out of the season in which we request that parents, coaches and spectators not talk to, instruct or coach players during the game. In place of cheering and yelling, we encourage creative ways to celebrate exciting moments like a goal, a save, or a great play. Some examples include posters, silent cheers, etc. In other leagues where this has been tried, this has become a highlight for the players and parents as they come up with a new way to celebrate.
This might sound like a radical idea but the addition of Silent Game Days has been met with huge success rates all over the country. Soccer is a free-flowing game in which players are encouraged to make their own decisions on the field. This is especially true when players have the ball at their feet. Oftentimes it is the players’ themselves who report the most positive feedback about Silent Game Days, because the game belongs to them.
Objectives of Silent Soccer Saturday
- To give players a chance to trust their skills and instincts without sideline input, and without concern that their mistakes will be corrected from the sidelines in a game environment.
- To foster leadership skills among the individual players as they have the unique opportunity of giving instruction on the field.
- To foster a sense of true teamwork as the players must learn to rely upon one another and communicate with each other accordingly.
- To remind coaches, parents, and players that PRACTICE is the time for instruction. Games are the showcases for learning.
- To remind everyone that youth soccer is primarily for the purpose of kids playing, learning and having fun.