West Jordan Youth Soccer is looking to expand its referee program! At WJYS, one of our core beliefs is to develop and improve the quality of referees in the league. We do this by training referees through the IREF training program and giving young referees the opportunity to get on field experience. This training is offered to our referees for free with a grant from Utah Youth Soccer. This is an exciting opportunity to learn what referees do and how to earn some income.
If you would like to become a referee with WJYS then follow these steps to get registered:
- Send an email to [email protected] letting the referee director know of your interest.
- Go to https://www.irefthegame.net to register for the IREF training course.
- Select one of the Salt Lake Area Youth Soccer training dates and follow the link to register. (Be sure to select West Jordan from the drop-down menu)
- Complete the training class on the date for which you registered
- Work with the Referee Coordinator to schedule game to referee
Q: How much to referees at WJYS get paid?
A: For U9 – U11 the pay is $20 per game and for U12 – HS the pay is $30 per game
Q: What is the minimum age to be a referee?
A: We give young referees a chance to develop and will take you as young as 10 years old. You may referee a game up to the age group younger than you. For example, a 10-year-old can referee a U9 game.
Q: What equipment do I need to be a referee?
A: It is expected that each referee will provide their own referee shirt, black socks, black shorts, a whistle, and a stopwatch. Both WJYS and IREF have partnered with Soccer Post in South Jordan who will offer a discount.
Q: How many games can I expect to referee in a season?
A: This depends on how many referees we have in the pool and varies season by season.
Q: How do I schedule games to referee:
A: As soon as the schedule is known then the referee coordinator will work with you to schedule games to work.
Q: What do I do if I have to cancel a game I was scheduled for?
A: Email the referee coordinator as soon as you become aware so a substitute can be found.
Q: Are there different rules for different age groups:
A: Yes. See the rules page and find the age group you are refereeing